Early Sunday morning, I woke up and noticed Anna had slept for over 6 hours and still was not up. So, I went to check on her and noticed she was burning hot. I mean really hot! I got Steve up and we took her temperature. It was 102.4 degrees. Yikes!
We all know that for a 7 day old baby that could be really bad. I called the pediatrician and he told us to take her to Primary Children's Hospital. Next, he started telling me that they were going to run a bunch of tests on her and admit her for at least 24 hours. I think he was trying to mentally prepare me for the next few hours.
My sweet parents met us at 90th South, my mom took the three older kids and my dad came to the hospital with us. When we got there her temp had gone down, but the told us they don't take fevers in newborns lightly. The next couple hours were really hard. My tiny little baby had to have her nose suctioned out, a catheter put in, a IV inserted twice, blood drawn, and the worst part - a spinal tap! That one freaked me out the most. Poor Steve had to leave the room or most of it. He does not do well with blood and needles. Anna was a trooper though. she had cried so hard that during the spinal tap she finally gave up and went to sleep.
We ended up staying all day and they admitted her overnight. The doctor came in and told me she tested positive for the Enterovirus. It is a common virus for adults usually seem during the summer months, but can be serious for newborns. She was on 2 different antibiotics at the hospital just in case she ended up with a bacterial infection, but they are of course useless for a virus. It was best case scenario for us because we actually knew what was causing the fever but she was going to be ok! Hurray!!! We were released from the hospital in Monday around noon, now, we are just happy to be home again with little Anna.
You thought I was a germ freak before? Just ask my kids how many times I make them wash their hands now!
14 comments:
oh jaime! how scary!! i'm so glad she's okay.
That picture totally breaks my heart. There is NOTHING worse than a baby in pain in the hospital. There is nothing you can do to comfort them. I'm glad she is going to be fine. I'll keep her in my prayers!
Jaime, I am so sorry!!! I am glad that she is doing better. Spinal taps on babies are brutal!! Glad everyting is going well now. She sure is beautiful!!
I'm so glad she's okay! We've been keeping her in our prayers.
Wow what a scary time for your family. So nice to have your parents so close to help out. I bet your Dad was a huge help at the hospitol. Hope Anna continues to get better.
I am so glad that Anna was taken such good care of. Both of you are troopers!
Oh that is terrible. I'm so sorry. Call us if you need us. I'm so glad she's going to be okay!!
Jaime, I am so glad that Anna is ok, what a scare! That is so hard to watch your baby go through something like that. I'm sure you're still nervous, I'm so sorry.
She is so beautiful, and I'm glad her foot is ok. We will keep you in our prayers.
Lisa
I'm so glad baby Anna is doing better, I've been so worried about her. I'm so sorry that she had to go through all of those terrible tests. Jaime and Steven I'm here if you need anything. Let me know how I can help out. Love you!
Congratulations! She really is beautiful and I love her name! That's amazing that her foot is normal.
So scary about the fever and hospital stay. I'm glad she's okay. I can imagine what a germ freak you are being. I'm a total germ freak too. Like really bad. I hate when kids are sick, especially newborns!
Congrats again. Oh and you look perfect in the hospital picture, by the way.
I'll send you a blog invite if I haven't yet. Then I won't feel like a lurker :).
So sad. I hate the heal prick I can't imagine all of that on my new born baby. You are such a trooper and I am glad that she is doing better.
I am glad to hear everything is okay. How scary. I can't believe she had a spinal tap. Baby Anna is so cute. Congratulations.
So scary!!! Glad she is home and okay. She is so adorable I need to stop by germ free and see her :)
Wow, how scary. I'm glad to hear she is doing better. With liylan home now, i've been making my girls wash their hands like every 10 minutes, LOL. We can be germ freaks together :)
Post a Comment