November 2, 2009

"Famous Stew"




Gracie says my stew is famous, so I will call this post "Famous Stew". At her request, I make it ever year. It really is quite good if I do say so my self. Here is the recipe if you think you are up to it:
2 pounds good stew meat (I like Costcos)
1 pkg Litpon onion soup mix
2 pkg Au Jus mix (NOT the brown gravy kind)
2 T worchestershire sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3 cups of water
6-8 potatoes
1 pound baby carrots
1 cup flour (for dredging the meat)
salt
pepper
Trim meat, sprinkle with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Brown meat in large pot. Make sure the pot is very hot and brown a little meat at a time. Do not over crowd the pan. After all the meat has been seared, deglaze the pan with water and the worchestershire sauce. Be sure to scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add meat back to pot and add the onion soup and Au Jus mixes. Simmer on low for at least 4 hours. Slower and lower is better. About 1-2 hours before you want to serve the stew, add the potatoes and carrots that have been chopped into bite size pieces. Also add the can of cream of mushroom soup. Bring back to boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until veggies are tender and sauce has thickened. We always serve with the French Peasant Bread. This recipe freezes really well and is better the next day! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

Yummy! I'm so glad you posted your stew recipe. We'll be having it this week.

Carol said...

I always look forward to Halloween because I always know I can count on your tasty stew. I guess I should bust out and try to make it some day. It just seems extra delicious coming from your kitchen :)

Jill said...

Yummers! I want to try it!