February 13, 2012

What's for Dinner?

I love to cook! 
But I hate trying to decide what to make for dinner... do you ever feel that way?
If I plan ahead and go grocery shopping for what I need, it is great and I love to make dinner. So, if inspiration is needed, here is one of our favorites. Ok, probably THE FAVORITE!

Veggie Tostada (or in this case - Veggie Nachos)
Chips or Tortilla (I prefer the ones you cook at home- I get them from Costco)
Colby Jack Cheese, shredded
2 cups Homemade Mexican rice (recipe to follow)
1 can black beans, rinsed 
1 head romaine lettuce (shredded)
Salsa
Creamy Tomatillo dressing (recipe to follow)
1 large avocado, diced

Just pile everything on in this order and enjoy! You can add shredded pork or shredded chicken if you like also. 

Homemade Mexican Rice
2 cups white or brown rice
2-3 chicken bouillon cubes, disolved in water
2/3 cup of your favorite fresh salsa
juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
water

I just add all of these ingredients to my rice maker and add the appropriate amount of water. Then fluff rice as usual when it is ready. 

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing (cafe rio style)
1 pkg powdered buttermilk ranch dressing
1 cup sour cream (I use light)
1/2 cup mayo (I prefer light also)
1/2 cup buttermilk
5 green onions
5-6 tomatillos, rinsed and quartered
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of cilantro
1 jalapeño (seeds and ribs removed)
Juice of two limes
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Place all of the vegetables and herbs in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the rest of ingredients and blend until very smooth. Place in refrigerator until ready to use. Great dip for casadillas, salad dressing. We also use it in breakfast burritos, tacos, burritos, etc. etc. 

Yummy! I am hungry already!!!




3 comments:

Edwin and Rebecca said...

I am making this for sure!! Post more. I hate deciding what to cook as well. I'm so sick of my usuals. OR should I say, I'm getting sick of having cookies for dinner when Ed is out of town. Naughty naughty, makes me chubby!

Jill said...

Looks so good! Please do share more. I want to be a good cook just like you.

Andrea said...

That looks so good! Another recipe I need to try!